Worried about Coronavirus? We can meet remotely. DETAILS HERE
Free Consultation - Available 24/7 (732) 863-5050

Facing serious criminal accusations?

Let us help you prove your innocence.

Juvenile Crimes Lawyer in New Jersey

Jason A. Volet Criminal Defense Lawyer NJ

You have a right to be upset and worried if your child was charged with a criminal offense in Freehold, Neptune or elsewhere in New Jersey. A conviction could carry serious short-term and long-term consequences for your child’s life.

The child could face fines, detention and community service. He or she could also lose out on future educational and professional opportunities. This is why you need an aggressive legal defense from an experienced New Jersey juvenile crimes lawyer.

Attorney Jason A. Volet is a former Monmouth County prosecutor. Today, he dedicates himself to protecting the rights of the accused. He has handled more than 2,000 criminal defense cases in his career. He is also one of the few lawyers in the state who has been certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Criminal Defense Attorney.

He knows how our juvenile justice system works. He is ready to put his knowledge and legal skills to work for you and your child.

When your child’s future is at stake, you can count on The Law Office of Jason A. Volet to pursue the best result possible. Don’t wait to get the legal help your child needs. The sooner you have an attorney, the better. Call or click here today.

Will My Child Be Treated as a Juvenile or Adult in the New Jersey Court System?

A New Jersey teen with a juvenile delinquency charge.As a parent, one of your main concerns will be whether your child will be treated as a juvenile or as an adult in the New Jersey court system. It can make a major difference in how your child’s case is handled and the legal options available to him or her.

If a child is under age 15, the child’s case must be handled as a juvenile delinquency matter in Family Court. However, a prosecutor can choose to waive the case to adult court if it involves a serious or violent offense. The decision to keep the case in adult court will be made at a judge’s discretion.

The services and expertise of Family Court are ultimately preferable to adult court. Your attorney can challenge any attempt by a prosecutor to move your child’s case to adult court.

Can My Child Be Detained for a Juvenile Criminal Offense?

New Jersey teens at a party.New Jersey teens at a party.

If your child has been accused of committing an offense that would be a crime if committed by an adult, the child can face a juvenile delinquency charge. This includes:

However, if your child is placed in a detention facility after being charged, the child has a right to a hearing the very next day to determine whether he or she should be kept in custody. If so, a hearing should be held within two days, and another detention review hearing should be set for 14 days later. If the child is still held, a hearing should take place every 21 days.

Attorney Jason A. Volet can represent your child at a detention review hearing. He can present a thorough, carefully prepared argument to the court on why your child should be released, including consideration of the child’s age, record and the nature of the charged offense. His goal will be to get your child back home as soon as possible.

Does My Child Have to Go to Court for a Juvenile Crime Charge?

If your child is found guilty of a juvenile delinquency offense, a Family Court judge will enter an adjudication of guilt and a disposition of the penalties that he or she faces.

However, not all juvenile crimes cases must go before a judge in Family Court. Jason A. Volet can explore all alternatives available to your child and pursue them. Those options may include:

  • Juvenile Conference Committee (JCC) or Intake Services Conference (ISC) – The JCC is comprised of citizen volunteers who are appointed to a panel, while the ISC consists of judicial staff members. Your child can attend an informal meeting with either panel and discuss a disposition – subject to court approval – that will keep your child out of a detention facility. For instance, your child may agree to counseling, community service or restitution. If the child completes all requirements, the charge can ultimately be dismissed.
  • Juvenile Referee / Informal Court – An informal hearing can be held before a juvenile referee. If your child admits guilt, the referee will draft a recommended adjudication and disposition for a Family Court judge to review. You can present witnesses at this hearing.

If you are nervous about your child appearing in Family Court before a judge, it certainly will be in your best interest to pursue an alternative. Your lawyer should work hard to achieve that objective for you and stand by your side throughout the process.

What Are the Consequences of a Juvenile Offense?

A juvenile court document with a gavel covering it. If your child is found guilty of a juvenile delinquency offense, the court should enter a disposition that is aimed at rehabilitation and instilling a sense of accountability for his or her actions. The penalties of a juvenile offense can include:

  • Fines and restitution
  • Drug and alcohol counseling
  • Driver’s license suspension
  • Community service
  • Confinement in a juvenile detention facility.

In a hearing before a Family Court judge, Jason A. Volet will present a vigorous defense, including challenging the prosecutor’s witnesses and other evidence.

If your child’s case results in a disposition, he will strongly advocate for the most lenient outcome possible, including a disposition that would allow for probation and release to you as a parent or guardian.

He can also seek a deferred disposition for your child. If he or she completes certain conditions and faces no other charges for a one-year period, the charge may ultimately be dismissed.

Can My Child’s Record Be Kept Confidential and Expunged?

A major worry for parents concerns the confidentiality of their child’s case and whether a charge will stay on the child’s record. After all, you don’t want a past mistake to end up costing your child a job or admission to a school of their dreams. Attorney Jason A. Volet understands those concerns.

Your child’s records should be kept under seal and reviewed only by law enforcement, judicial and government agencies unless the child has been found guilty of an offense that would be a serious crime if committed by an adult such as one that would classify as a first-, second- or third-degree offense. Even so, your lawyer can help you with applying to keep the adjudication kept confidential on the basis that it would protect your child from “specific and extraordinary harm.”

Additionally, depending on the nature of the offense, your child’s juvenile record could be expunged after five years have passed from the child’s release from custody or the end of supervision. The Law Office of Jason A. Volet, helps families with expungement issues.

Get Help from a New Jersey Juvenile Defense Lawyer Today

A lawyer talking to a juvenile offender. Your child’s future is important to you. It is important to Jason A. Volet, too.

You can count on him to carefully review your case, explain your child’s rights and options, answer your questions and – above all – work diligently to pursue the best outcome possible. You and your child deserve that kind of passionate and professional legal defense.

Don’t wait to get legal help. Your child’s case needs to be addressed immediately.

Call The Law Office of Jason A. Volet today or reach us online – any day of the week, any time of day. We serve clients in Freehold, Neptune and throughout Monmouth County and surrounding areas in New Jersey. We are ready to get to work for you today.

Sources / More Information

Resources Prepared For You

What are the Penalties for Juvenile Crimes?

Arrested for Domestic Violence - Know the procedure in NJ

How Can a Criminal Defense Lawyer Help Me?

August 18, 2016 by

With a multitude of internet resources and books available regarding how the law works, many people believe that they are capable of handling their own defense if charged with a crime. However, even minor criminal convictions can have significantly greater…

Frequently Asked Questions

As a Monmouth County Juvenile Crime Lawyer I often get calls from parents telling me that their child was arrested for theft. In order to prove theft, the state would need to show that your child intended to take that item intentionally. I advise clients as a Monmouth County Juvenile Crime Lawyer that hiring an attorney who is experienced in these cases is very important.
As a Monmouth County Juvenile Crimes Attorney I often speak to people who have been caught drinking underage at a bar. If you child is being charged with underage drinking at a bar then they can be charged with using a fraudulent ID. I have advised parent’s of clients that this end up being a disorderly person’s offense and will head to municipal court.
Have a Question about your Case? Contact us for a free consultation or call us today at (732) 863-5050

Contact Us

The New Jersey juvenile crimes lawyers at the Law Office of Jason A. Volet in Freehold and Neptune, know how serious a criminal accusation can be and are prepared to help explain your legal options. Contact a member of our qualified legal team at 732-863-5050 to discuss the specifics of your case.

Associations & Awards

  • New York State Bar Association NYSBA logo
  • American Bar Association ABA logo defending liberty persuing justice
  • Criminal Lawyer New Jersey State Bar Association Logo
  • New Jersey Supreme Court Certified Criminal Defense Attorney logo
  • Avvo Rating Superb Top Attorney Criminal Defense NJ
Law Office of Jason A. Volet Criminal Defense Lawyer Logo
Get in Touch Today (732) 863-5050

two Locations to Meet You

Freehold Office
Neptune Office